What’s In A Name
Pastor Val @ Renewal
There is a terrible spiritual danger involved in receiving any __________.
They don’t need a king to obey; they need to ______the King they have!
After rejecting the throne, he lived like a _______! Deuteronomy 17:14-20
Gideon also seems to have assumed _________ duties, Exodus 32:1-4.
Gideon assumed a _______ role as sponsor of the cult
Gideon’s sin _________ others to sin.
Gideon has used God to consolidate his _______ position, instead of using his position to serve and be used by God.
For the _______ time, idolatry is officially sponsored by the leader of the nation.
It is peace without worship and peace without _________.
How could Gideon ________ to become a king because he knew God is the King, and then act like one? He failed to live out what he knew to be _______Galatians 2:14
“Don’t go into the ministry to save your soul.” C.H. Spurgeon, Luke 4:5-8; Mark 10:45
When we take credit for something that God did, we usurp God’s place and cause others to not remember the Lord, who has done good things for them. We cause others to lose their ________ of God.
When God has done a mighty act on our behalf, the glory __________ to him.
We can have our theology right and yet live as ______________.
The church today is prone to pay too ________ attention to the details concerning doctrinal teachings in God’s Word. allows ____________ errors may occur, even with “correct” theology.
Those of us who are called to leadership in the kingdom of God face a constant temptation to exchange the divine agenda for personal ___________.
Steps to Renewal (What’s In A Name?)
- *What role did pride play in Gideon’s life?
- *How can we guard ourselves against pride?
- What does this story reveal about God’s character?
- In what ways have you had to depend on the Lord’s strength?
- What does Gideon’s spiritual downfall teach us about human nature?
- What would you say are some of the idols that distract us from serving God?
- What are some good things that you think can cause Christians to become proud or lose their focus on serving God?
- Why is pride dangerous?
- In what way could pride interfere with a person’s relationship with others and God?
- What do we need to remember whenever we experience success?
- What one temptation do you face that threatens your relationship with the Lord?
Next Steps to Renewal
- Are there aspects of your life and work you think you should get more recognition and honor for? How will the gospel of grace help you deal well with your successes?
- In which areas of your life do you need to walk more closely, or clearly, in line with the gospel?
- How does looking at the servant-heartedness of our Savior liberate us from seeing ministry as self-salvation?