Pastor Val @Renewal
If God is with Us… WHY?
How easy it is for us to make both of Gideon’s mistakes! First, we tend to see our troubles as ___________that God has left us, instead of asking ________ God is working in and through them for our good, as he promises to. Romans 8:28
Second, we are often waiting for God to do ______________ to us or for us, or wondering why he doesn’t use __________ to bring help. We essentially say: Lord, why don’t you __________ this problem? instead of saying: Lord, please make me the person who can ___________ this problem.
This provokes the second “disagreement.” I’m Not the _______ Choice!
But all of these fail to consider ie. take seriously either God’s __________, or his _________.
God is always ready to make us what we ought to be if we’re willing to ____________ to His will Eph. 2:10; Phil. 2:12–13; Hebrews 11.
The Angel of the Lord—Who is He?
Theophany or Christophany
Gideon does not only _________ a sign of Yahweh/the messenger but also ___________the nature of the sign.
Gideon decided to __________ the Lord at night when the village was asleep. Mark 4:40; Isa. 12:2
It’s worth noting that true believers can’t build an altar to the Lord unless first they tear down the altars they’ve built to the false gods they worship. Ex. 20:5
The Israelites had not abandoned worship of God for idols. They had ____________ the worship of God with idols.
Before they can throw off the enemies ____________them (the Midianites), they have to throw off the enemies ___________ them (the false idols of Canaan).
Contrary to popular interpretation, this text has ___________ to do with discovering or determining the will of God.
The request for signs is not a sign of faith but of ______________. Matthew 4:5-7
Gideon was very specifically asking God to show him that he was not one of the forces of nature (like the other gods), but was _____________ over the forces of nature. He was really seeking to understand the __________of God.
“Putting out the fleece” is not a biblical method for ______________ the will of God. Gideon’s weakness only proves that He’s a gracious God who _______________ how we’re made Ps. 103:14; 1 John 5:4
This is about how we need to ask God to give us a big picture of _________ he is.
Like Gideon Our Issues Are:
Gideon’s problems lie in his lack of ____________of God and his Word
Obedience to this command was an important ___________ to the deliverance of the nation through Gideon.
Doubting people can be used of God, especially when they are obedient ____ ________ of their doubts and fears!
Steps to Renewal (Fleecing God)
- What does this passage tell us about the kind of people God uses to fulfill His purposes?
- What is good or bad about testing the Lord the way Gideon did?
- What should we do when we are not sure whether God is leading us to go a certain way?
- *What step do you need to take while feeling hesitant to move forward?
- What can you learn from this story about God’s patience and love for you?
Next Steps to Renewal
- What troubles are you facing? Will you see them as problems which need removing, or possible ways for God to change you and grow you?
- What are the false gods which are demanding that you worship them alongside the one true God?
- Are there parts of your life where you need to ask God to point you to his Son so that you can trust more fully in his promises?